fredag 20. mai 2011

May 19th

I did not get out until late today to look for birds, and I figured that the best thing to do today was to get the secong gull-trap from the dump, and bring it to the delta since the gulls seem to be much more cooperative there. I counted geese on my way in the valley, and now there are more than 300 Pink-footed and 70 Barnacle Geese (Kortnebbgås og Hvitkinngås) in the valley. If you add the ones that are in town and along the fiord there are more than 700 geese in total in the area now. But it is soon to be many more geese here.

When I had gotten the trap, and had driven it down to the delta I heard a long awaited sound. The binoculars came up, and I quickly managed to locate three Ringed Plovers (Sandlo) and one Dunlin (Myrsnipe). This is the first Dunlin of the year, and it brought my year-total up to 28 species until now.  I also looked through the Purple Sandpipers (Fjæreplytt) and found two with our lime-colored flags. The one which I have a picture of here is called "AVE". This one was ringed june 6th 2010 as an adult of unknown sex.

A short trip to Hotellneset earlier in the day on my way to work resulted in three Teals (Krikkand). This was two males, and the first female of the year.

                                          Purple Sandpiper lime "AVE"
                                          Pair of Teals
                                          Male Teal
                                          Dunlin and Ringed Plovers
                                          Dunlin

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar