lørdag 12. november 2011

Andaman Islands, Day 14, October 25th, 2011

Port Blair, South Andaman Island

To wake up in the middle of an Indian town, when you have gotten used to the sheltered and clean life of the jungle, was quite a strange experience. None-the-less I managed to find a few good birds there. From the window of our hotel room I got to see a Common Myna (Hyrdestær) landing in a palm, and a short stroll along the promenade before breakfast gave wonderful close-up views of a White-bellied Sea Eagle (Hvitbukhavørn) which grabbed food 20 meters in front of me. In addition a little flock of Pacific Swallows (Kystsvale) kept chasing small insects in front of me. Why do these things happen when I don’t have my camera there? When flying into India from the Andamans I got to see five or six Black Kites (Svartglente) at the airport in Kolkata. They were probably looking for food, but I hope that they are smart enough to keep away from the jet-engines.

Species list of the day

Port Blair, South Andaman Island

·         White-bellied Sea Eagle (Hvitbukhavørn)

·         Asian Fairy Bluebird (Blåalvefugl)

·         Pacific Swallow (Kystsvale)

·         Common Myna (Hyrdestær)

·         Oriental Magpie Robin (Orientskjæreskvett)

·         House Sparrow (Gråspurv)

Kolkata, India mainland

·         Black Kite (Svartglente)
New species of the day: 1
Total number of species on the trip: 53

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar