fredag 4. november 2011

Andaman Islands, Day 2, October 13th, 2011

Jungle Resort, Havelock Island

Usually I quite enjoy sleeping for a long time in the mornings, but in 26 degrees Celsius and 100% humidity, I woke up at 6.30 in the morning. New place, new possibilities! I grabbed my binoculars and my camera and headed out on the grounds of the holiday-complex. The first bird that I got to see was an Asian Fairy Bluebird (Blåalvefugl). This stunning glossy blue and black bird only showed well when it was sat in the shade, and in flight through the sun I had no chance of following it. I really hope to get a good photo of this species one day. Other birds seen today were the Black-naped Oriole (Svartnakkepirol) with its lemon-yellow body with black over the eyes and on the wings, Red-whiskered Bulbul (Rødørebylbyl) and the Oriental Magpie Robin (Orientskjæreskvett) were very common, and I saw and heard them many places throughout the day. While having a little stroll through the jungle I came across a Grey Wagtail (Vintererle), a species of which I am very familiar with form Norway. It did not want to sit still, and it flew off as quickly as I got close to it. Its cousin, the Forest Wagtail on the other hand did not fly away, but ran away on the ground. I would love to get some photos of this species, but when it is hiding in thick undergrowth at least I am not able to get a decent picture of it.

Species list of the day

Jungle Resort, Havelock Island

·         Emerald Dove (Smaragddue)

·         Asian Fairy Bluebird (Blåalvefugl)

·         Black-naped Oriole (Svartnakkepirol)

·         Red-whiskered Bulbul (Rødørebylbyl)

·         Forest Wagtail (Skogerle)

·         Grey Wagtail (VIntererle)

·         Oriental Magpie Robin (Orientskjæreskvett)

New species today: 7

Total number of species so far: 8
Asian Fairy Bluebird/Blåalvefugl. Male

Oriental Magpie Robin/Orientskjæreskvett

It it nice to be warned about what not to do around corcodiles...

One of the many lizzards I saw during our stay.

"Our" gekko "George" who ate insects onour mosquito-net

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar