torsdag 20. mai 2010

Spring and the fun stuff has arrived!!

After a long and more or less cold winter, spring has finally desided to come to Svalbard. And along with spring came the birds. Large flocks of Fulmars (Havhest), Brünnick's Guillemots (Polarlomvi) and Common Eiders (Ærfugl) started the show, followed by large amounts of King Eiders (Praktærfugl), Kittiwakes (Krykkje) and Glaucous Gulls (Polarmåke). To see a flock of about 350 King Eiders lying on smooth water in bright sunlight is a truly magnifisent sight.

When the calendar told me that the month was May, I knew that I didnt have to wait long before something rare would come down from the sky in Longyearbyen. I had allready had a pre-start of the rarities with a White-billed Diver (Gulnebblom), which is a very rare sight up here, but I wanted more. And the birds of May will be presented in the next blogs.:)

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar